Tuesday, January 28, 2025

The Common Question: Why Do I Need anAdvisor?

The Common Question: Why Do I Need an
Advisor?

Recently, a friend asked me, "Mutual funds are OK.
Good to create wealth . But why do I need a financial advisor to guide my investment decisions?" 

He argued that he could manage his investments 
using online tools, calculators, and readily available
fund ratings. 

His point seemed valid at first glance: with
digital platforms offering seamless transactions
and detailed performance data, why go to the
trouble of finding a good advisor?

However, the real value of a financial advisor lies
not in the basic services that technology can
replicate but, in their ability to bridge the gap
between potential and actual returns.

I asked my friend a simple yet critical question.

"Are you happy with the returns on your mutug
fund investments?" 

He admitted he wasn't. 
Despite investing in top-rated funds, 
his portfolio has significantly underperformed 
the NIFTY index over several years. 
Intrigued, I analyzed his Portfolio and uncovered the root of the problem

portfolio and uncovered the root of the problem.

While my friend had chosen good funds, his returns were lower than the funds' performance. 
The culprit? 
Behavioral mistakes. He had made emotional 
decisions, such as redeeming investments during market corrections after reading alarming headlines like "Rs 5 lakh crore of investor wealth wiped out." 

At other times, he paused his SIPs instead of capitalizing on lower NAVs or invested heavily during market peaks driven by a buying frenzy.

This behavior isn't unique to him. 

This discrepancy-caused by poor timing and 
emotional reactions-is where financial advisors can deliver true value.

     Courtesy :: Mr Ganesh Mohan , CEO, 
                          BAJAJ FINSERVE AMC 

No comments:

முதலீட்டார்களுக்கு ஒரு வகுப்பறைப் பாடம்.

ஒவ்வொரு முதலீட்டாளரும் கற்றுக்கொள்ள வேண்டிய ஒரு வகுப்பறை பாடம்! ஒருமுறை பள்ளி ஆசிரியர் ஒருவர் வகுப்பறைக்குள் நுழைந்து, கரும்பலகையில் 9-ஆம் வ...